> Script Details
Point Dispersion Wizard
report inappropriate content
Apr 3 2006
Status of work
ArcScripts is intended for the free exchange of scripts and tools related to ESRI software products. Please alert the moderator if this script is a demo, trial-version, or an advertisement for a retail product.
April 3, 2006:
1. Hopefully fixed the case where the following error occurred if running either the Spatial Analyst or 3D Analyst extension by ESRI: "Radius is both a variable and a class".
March 11, 2005:
1. Fixed the case whereby selecting the graphics dispersion method disabled the "Select All Graphics" menu item in the Edit drop down menu. Before, it reactivated only if the user clicked somewhere in the View's Table of Contents or Display.
2. Fixed the case whereby selecting the graphics dispersion method, and interrupting the process before it had a chance to complete normally, left the View inactive (Title Bar grayed out).
3. Rewrote the text in the MsgBox that pops up if there are no themes in the View to read "There are no themes in the View" instead of "There are no active themes in the View". The program doesn't care that there are any active themes in the View, only that there ARE themes in the View.
4. Minor revisions to the READ_ME.TXT file.
December 10, 2002:
1. Fixed the bug caused by adding the Stop Button to the Working Status Bar (See bug fixes for December 9, 2002, below) that cleared the point theme selection bitmap if the Stop Button was clicked.
December 9, 2002:
1. Fixed the case whereby a View containing Image Themes prevented the Point Dispersion Wizard from opening or the randomly within a containing polygon dispersion pattern option from running.
2. Fixed the case whereby attempting to run the randomly within a containing polygon dispersion pattern option caused the Point Dispersion Wizard to lock up if no polygon themes were in the View.
3. Added a Stop Button to the Workiong Status Bar that appears when the program is counting points in polygons in the randomly within a containing polygon dispersion pattern option.
The Point Dispersion Wizard disperses coincident points radially, linearly, randomly within a specified radius and randomly within a containing polygon. In addition, each dispersion pattern comes with a set of user specified options. Dispersed points can be displayed as graphics in the existing theme, clipped to a new theme, or dispersed in a new theme. It was written for ArcView 3.1 using the Dialog Designer. Be sure to study the included READ_ME.txt file as it explains the usage of the Point Dispersion Wizard, especially as it pertains to the randomly within a containing polygon dispersion pattern which behaves somewhat differently than the other dispersion patterns. The random dispersion pattern options use a prime modulus multiplicative linear congruential generator to generate random variates from the uniform distribution on the interval [0,1] based on Marse and Roberts (1983).
Please let me know what you like, or dislike, about the Point Dispersion Wizard as well as reporting any problems.